10.21.2014

Papers Signed. Gulp.

Not gonna lie.  This image is pretty much what I was doing about 40 minutes ago.

I said a prayer.  Or two.

And then I took the dogs outside and took a few deep breaths.

Mr. Husband signed accepting paperwork this morning to a new job.  With a new company.

"Yeah!"  I know, right?

He called me as he was on his way to work (his current job) after signing the papers and finding out a few more of the details.  I didn't hang up and have a 'Yeah!' moment though.  Because, suddenly all the baggage with that decision hit me.  

Lost retirement account(s) for any stocks not 100% vested. Rolling over accounts that are. Loss of vacation days allowed after being at his position for 10 years, loss of medical and dental insurance, 90 days before we are eligible for insurance at the new job, changing our family cell phone(s) and plans... loss of discounts on family cell phone plans and DH's phones are provided to him through work (not at new job) so will have to add him to mine (?), daughter has a doctor's appointment in December about 3 weeks after we lose that coverage, and it's Christmas time - will we have a week or two without income as it overlaps and gets set up, and we have Spring tuition for college due of about $9000... and... and... and the list swirling in my brain goes on and on.......

All 'do-able' but will take some organization and deep thinking. 

Yep there is happiness there.  Or will be in about 3-4 months when the dust settles.

Wow.  How did this happen? And so quickly?


We went from possibly relocating (again) WITH my husbands job to him accepting a new job and soon putting in his resignation.  

Overwhelmed.


10.20.2014

Monday Morning: Maybe signing papers today



This may not be another relocation but it is in the same realm, so this possible career shift is documented in our family relocation blog as well.

Today we are expecting a call from the HR department of the company DH may transfer to.  The call would be to meet and sign the official paperwork to accept the position.  It would have start dates, salary and all the information we need to make this become real.

I told my husband this morning I haven't allowed myself to really think about it yet... until we have something in writing.  (*Then I can kind of freak out...).  As ready as he is emotionally and mentally to make a switch to a different job environment, it's also scary.  In this economy, having ten years with your job is job security.  Making a switch means starting at ground zero with them - including starting a new retirement fund, losing the retirement funds from the current company that are tied up in stocks that aren't yet 100% vested, switching health insurance (HUGE issue right now with the debacle our president caused)... just so much hinges on a job change.

But on the other hand, now is the time to do it.  The last of the kids are off to college.  Sure we have a huge mortgage, car payment, bills and credit card debt - but we are more mobile, and because it is just the two of us directly affected and no 'small' children or teens in the house anymore, we feel more 'ok' with making career changes.  There are less people depending on things staying status-quo...  now is the time to make the jump if it's going to be done.

We should find out today....  waiting for that call to meet them and sign on the dotted line.






You might also be interested in;

Switching Lanes On Life's Journey: The Middle-Aged Woman's Guide To Re-Discovering Your Vocational Destiny
The Everything Career Tests Book: 10 Tests to Determine the Right Occupation for You
The Encore Career Handbook: How to Make a Living and a Difference in the Second Half of Life


         




10.15.2014

Just a random update that isn't really much of an update




This week my husband is away on business.  We've been waiting to hear from the new company - the results of the background checks and drug tests should have came back but we hadn't gotten a phone call yet.  Knowing they should be 'clear' without any issues, we were anxious to hear.

He got the call this morning.  Apparently all the checks and tests came back on Monday.  He hadn't called to tell him, because he had been fighting 'behind the scenes' to rush the mandatory training class enrollment for my husband... but the dates, no matter how they played with them, couldn't be worked out. 

Without going into details, there are 2 parts of training.  The first is 4 weeks, followed by another 6  weeks.  However the 6 week classes start before his mandatory first 4 week training is over... and there was no way to bend the dates so in the end, he called my husband this morning to say they want to move ahead (if my husband is still interested) but that he won't be able to start the secondary training until after the first of the year.  He misses it by 2 weeks.

Are we still interested?  Yes.
Where do we stand right now?
I'm not sure.
He has to finish out his out of state business.  Then come back and sign paperwork with the new company and get some solid dates from them.  Then, we'll see.

We still feel like things are hanging in the balance.  Not really sure which way things are going at this point.  Once official paperwork is signed I think we can move forward.  Right now it's still in the uncomfortable "not really knowing anything" stage. 




10.14.2014

Opening a Window?



"Put me to the test and you will see that I will open the windows of heaven and pour out on you in abundance all kinds of good things."

 - Malachi 3:10 



After the happy relief on Monday of being told something bigger and better was on the horizon for Mr. Husband and this particular location was not a good fit... we both relaxed and laughed and smiled a lot the rest of the day and Tuesday.

That door closed... but we were relieved it did.

Then the strangest thing happened.  

A day later, Mr. Husband got a call from another company who wanted to know if he would be interested in accepting a position with them.   

This wasn't completely random... but close.  

A few months ago a friend and co-worker went to work for this company.  He contacted Mr. Husband about 2 months ago when a position in his field was coming up.  Mr. Husband went online to check it out and ended up doing the online assessment just for the heck of it.  He got a call to come in to talk to them; not an interview - no suit - no resume - just a quick meet face-to-face.

He went in, shook hands, met... and was told they really liked him but the corporation had withdrawn the position in this state.  Due to budget constraints they recalled a few of the open positions.  This was one of them.  But they would like to call Mr. Husband in the future if and when the company opened the position back up.  

Sure.  No problem.

And we promptly forgot about it.  Until yesterday... when they called him.  And asked him if he was still interested?  The company opened up that position in this district again.


Pros and Cons....

I'll skip to the point:  Our conversation about this opportunity really came down to this;

If he turned down the chance to speak with them now, he would forever regret it.  I told him every little thing that goes wrong at work, every bad day, every thing that stresses him out; will forever be bigger and worse than ever because he will always think  "WHAT IF....."  And even if this position is just as stressful and awful and difficult... in his mind it will always be rainbows and unicorns if he doesn't try it.

He went to talk to the district guy who called him.  He went ahead and did a drug test and signed for a background check.  Now?  We wait and see if anything comes of it.
 









 

10.07.2014

Relief




Mr. Husband got a call on Monday regarding the position he put his name in the hat for.  They absolutely loved him and told him he was the number one choice and the right guy for the position... but that position is not the right one for him.

Exactly what we already knew in our hearts!

We both felt like we were trying to make ourselves be happy and hopeful... when in fact neither of us felt this was a good fit.  We wanted it for the sole reason(s) to be able to move closer to our daughter, get a fresh start in a new place - which is always fun - and to get farther South to warmer weather and closer to the beach.

However, there was nothing obstacles in place.  I won't go into the details as it doesn't matter now, but the list CONS and ISSUES TO TACKLE and HOW DO WE and more... were numerous!

He was SO HAPPY when he called me on the phone to say he didn't get it!  And my heart lifted and a grin appeared on my face when I heard the words.  Such a good feeling!

And even better when I found out his boss called him as well as the territory boss of the other location and both told him they see big things for him... and he wants him on his team... but not that location.  He said big things are happening in that area over the next few months and that Mr. Husband is slated to be on the team... but it needs to be where his skills and expertise can be used.

So... nothing but good things; even in the supposed 'bad' news that wasn't bad at all.













God's Plan for Man:  Contained in Fifty-Two Lessons, One for Each Week of the Year


Plan B: What Do You Do When God Doesn't Show Up the Way You Thought He Would?

God Has a Plan for Your Life: The Discovery that Makes All the Difference